YOUR GUIDE TO A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Welcome to How To Lose Weight 101. Our goal is to provide practical information about making positive life changes and leading a healthy lifestyle. On this site you can find information about weight management, nutrition, exercise, personal care and much more.
WHAT IS A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Without question, being a happy and healthy person requires much more than just being free of illness and disease, or reaching a targeted weight level deemed to be normal. The World Health Organization has defined health as a “state of complete physical, mental and social well-being”. Given that the leading cause of illness is due not to genetics or environment, but rather lifestyle choices and unhealthy behaviors, the importance of learning about and committing to a healthy lifestyle is of paramount importance. Healthy behaviors are defined as those actions taken by an individual that carry physical consequences and impact an individual’s physical, psychological and social well-being. Adopting healthy behaviors will advance a healthy lifestyle.
It is important to note, however, that a person’s lifestyle is dependent not only on personal choices, but also social factors. Aspects such as one’s social environment (housing, food, clothing, etc.), groups of primary and secondary support (family support systems), personal beliefs and values, and other social elements will heavily influence a person’s lifestyle.
Given the above, a healthy lifestyle can be defined as the set of social processes, habits, and behaviors of an individual or a population that will lead to the satisfaction of human needs required to produce a high quality of life and personal development.
The components of a healthy lifestyle include:
- Satisfaction of basic human needs
- Good personal hygiene
- Physical exercise
- Quality nutrition
- Adequate sleep
- Avoidance of substance abuse such as alcohol, marijuana, illegal drugs, etc.
- Adherence to suitable medical treatment
- Appropriate management of emotions and stress
- Constructive social interaction
BENEFITS OF A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Adopting a healthy lifestyle has a direct and positive impact on a person’s physical and psychological health. Generally speaking, the most important effects of a healthy lifestyle are: good health, increased energy and vitality, improved mood, and reduced levels stress and anxiety. Research has shown that implementing healthy behaviors (maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, eating a proper diet, etc.) can reduce the probability of developing a chronic disease by as much as 80%.
Embracing a healthy lifestyle will produce an abundance of positive outcomes including:
- Improved Health: Healthy behavior reduces the risk of coronary or cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and the onset of chronic diseases
- Superior Physical Performance: Exercise and good nutrition can improve a person’s physical attributes such as flexibility, strength, endurance, lung capacity, muscle tone, weight level, boby mass index, and overall appearance.
- Heightened Mental State: A healthy lifestyle will reduce levels of stress, depression and anxiety, as well as promote feelings of well-being and improves one’s self-esteem.
- Improved Social Outcomes: A healthy lifestyle promotes social integration, participation and organization.
CONSEQUENCES OF AN UNHEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Leading a sedentary lifestyle, characterized by limited physical activity, inadequate nutrition, drug and substance abuse, isolation, and other unhealthy behavior, will elevate the probability of developing various degenerative diseases such as diabetes, heart disease , high blood pressure, high cholesterol, triglycerides, obesity, joint and muscle degeneration, and much more.
Psychologically, an unhealthy lifestyle generates low self-esteem, difficulties coping with stressful situations and a greater likelihood of mood disorders.
COMMIT TO YOUR HEALTH
The benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle are clear. So make a positive choice today! Make a personal commitment to learning about healthy behaviors and adopting a healthy lifestyle. Small actions today can yield large rewards tomorrow.